Based in Redmond, Washington
If you're an artist and ever wanted to use decent hand reference without having to awkwardly pose your hand in front of a mirror, this app was made for you! HANDY is an artist's reference tool consisting of a rotatable 3D lit hand with a variety of poses useful for drawing. The 3 point lighting rig is also rotatable, so you can rotate and light the hand as necessary for your reference. Perfect for comic book artist, painters, or just casual sketchers.
HANDY was built out of Mike Monroe's desire for quick and easy on-the-go reference when it came to one of those most expressive parts of the body. It also served as a great first project to become more familiar with Unity3D, which was just starting to catch on at the time. The initial prototyping and rigging work was done with the wonderful help of a co-worker Alex Hogan, and was released first on iOS with the help of Scott McKie. It was shortly ported to Android as well.
- Fully 3D male and female hands, with a large assortment of various poses
- Several 3D head busts (including a skull) you can rotate and light- great for getting basic lighting or angle reference.
- 3 point lighting system that can be easily edited with specific colors, angles, and brightness
- Also having trouble with feet? Well now in there's a male foot [IAP] available to help you out!
Logo & Icon
- "Thanks to this useful app, drawing realistic hands can become a whole lot easier."
- ImagineFX Magazine, ImagineFX
- "Pencillers, inkers, and colorists should all give this a look!"
- Tony Moore, Tony Moore Illustration
About Belief Engine
Belief Engine is Mike Monroe and Scott McKie, and serves as the vessel for their individual projects and collaborations.
More information on Belief Engine, our logo & relevant media are available here.
Handy Art Reference Tool Credits
Rigging, Additional Development